The patient-centered medical home may not be as effective in improving quality care and lowering costs as hoped, according to a new study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
When I think collectively about the doctor's visits I've ever had, I'd say 10 percent of the time I've spent in exam rooms involved some sort of physical doctoring--examinations, vaccinations or procedures--while the other 90 percent of those interactions were purely verbal.
In fact, ironic as it sounds, the art of old-fashioned conversation is at the heart of the telemedicine movement. "Tactile interaction" is often unnecessary to delivering good care, according to an article from FierceMobileHealthcare. While their patients are selected carefully, mobile doctors provide pretty much 100 percent dialogue-based care. Read the full commentary...
Have something to say? Join other healthcare executives on the FierceHealthcare LinkedIn group.
POPULAR COMMENT THREADS
It's important to offer medical office employees scheduling flexibility and help them further their careers. Forbes includes this advice in a recent post about helping employees conquer exhaustion, in addition to some back-to-basics tips offices frequently overlook.
As fee-for-service reimbursement fades, physician-compensation trends evolve to put more emphasis on quality metrics. In addition, the decades-long pay gap between specialties and primary care continues to narrow, according to SullivanCotter's 2013 Physician Compensation and Productivity Survey.
"Problem prescribers" play a more significant factor in the prescription drug abuse epidemic than previously thought, according to a study published in JAMA Internal Medicine, which identified physicians as the top source of narcotic painkillers for chronic abusers.
A recent study that found patient-centered medical homes (PCMH) don't necessarily save money or improve care came as a surprise to FierceHealthcare Senior Editor Ilene MacDonald, who believes that in theory personalized care leads to healthier patients.
Many patients newly insured under the Affordable Care Act carry policies with high deductibles, which brings upfront collections and price transparency issues center stage.
From Our Sister Sites
Doctors from Duke University, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the de Beaumont Foundation this week launched the "Practical Playbook," an initiative that aims to bring public health, primary care coordination and population health together through the use of health IT.
Rhode Island Hospital in Providence appears poised to become the first hospital in the nation to test Google Glass for real-time emergency room care.